Occam's Razor

 and other stuff (Pt. 1)

I’ve been a busy bee over the last few weeks, I’ve got Tiger2 MOT’d and up for sale, which is just as well as the latest estimate for getting the Trophy back on the road is around £1000. Not that I’ll get that for Tiger2, but if I get £750+ (which is where the eBay bid is at the moment), It’ll go some way towards it.

To give you an idea, the carbs need a good clean & rebuild, the fork stanchions need re-chroming, new tyres, brake pads, brake lines, front & rear brake switches (more on this later) fuel tap, the list goes on.

So, where am I at now?

Front forks

Since the last update, I’ve removed the front forks and having cleaned them up as best I can with a good session with metal polish, I can confirm that both stanchions need work. They don’t look that bad, but there is pitting in the chrome low enough to trash any new seals I put in. Both forks are currently on the bench waiting for a) cash and b) for me to strip them down so I can send off the stanchions. They will go to Dynasurf to re-chrome them, probably next month. From their web site, I’m estimating £145 + postage.

Carbs

With the carbs out of the bike, and on the bench, I’ve made a few enquiries as to the cost. There’s a new business local to me that was set up a few months ago by an ex-Triumph mechanic, who quoted me around £160 plus parts for the job. There are other places that can do the job cheaper but take in to account postage, it might work out around the same. The advantage in using this new business, is that it supports local business and I can drop off and pick up the carbs rather than rely on our presently overstretched postal service. There's likely to be other jobs going his way too, so building up that contact now is probably not a bad idea.


While the carbs were out, I checked the carb rubbers. Giving them a quick wash & brush up, then treating them with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care. There are eight rubbers in all, four airbox to carb and four carb to engine. Onlly one of the eight have split and it's carb to engine.. The question is, do I replace all four carb to engine rubbers or just the one that’s split?

More cleaning

As I had the Autoglym out, I took the opportunity to clean and treat all the rubber, vinyl and plastic I could find on the Trophy, that includes radiator hoses, brake lines (which I might need to replace), wiring loom, air intakes, clocks, fairing infill panels etc.

 

The bike might not be anywhere close to getting back on the road, but it’s now got lots of shiny bits on it.


Comments