The time has come

 not to sell one of my beloved Triumphs, or the Honda CB1 sitting in boxes awaiting a rebuild, although I have bought some new fork seals for it.


No, the time has come to add to my collection. So welcome to Daysie the Triumph Daytona T595.

 

She's a 1997 bike, first registered on 10 March 1997 and last ridden approximately 12 years ago (reminds me of another Triumph in my collection). The story is that sometime after the last MOT was done, in March 2010, the radiator sprung a leak, so the previous owner (Dave) took it off the road & used his 'winter hack' while it awaited repair. I think life got in the way & in a roundabout way, via Facebook, it was offered to me on condition I put her back on the road.


I've done a little research on Daysie. She was originally named 'The Yellow Peril' by Dave's Grandfather, but new owner, new name (I did toy with Pearl, the Yellow Peril, but eventually settled for Daysie).

So here's a potted history of Daysie.

Registered in March 1997, I cannot find any record of who bought her new. However,  she found a new owner, 'Mr O' in November 1997 with 1900 miles on the clock. It was bought from Fowlers motorcycles in Cheltenham.

Next up was 'Mr S' in March 2003 who bought it from Highbarn Motorcycles in Chaderton.

It changed hands again in March 2008 when it was bought by Dave. She spent 2 years under cover in a garden before being moved to a shed, where she spent the next 10 years.

There is a limited service history, but there are receipts for 

  • 4000 mile service in August 2000,
  • 6000 mile service in August 2001
  • 12000 mile service in April 2002
I also have an MOT history from September 2005 (when MOTs went on line.
  • Sept 2005 - 26422 miles
  • May 2007 - 28474 miles
  • March 2008 - 29577 miles
  • March 2009 - 30838 miles
  • March 2010 - 33132 miles

Finally, she was passed on to me on 29 May 2022 with 33721 miles on her. The last recorded MOT, shows she only did 599 miles after that before being taken off the road.

Sadly, her time hidden away has not been good to her.

A quick look and I'm probably looking at a big list, including complete engine service, suspension rebuild, brake rebuild, new chain & sprocket, new tyres, battery, not to mention having to have the radiator repaired, or worst case, replaced.

So far, I'm looking at a parts bill in the region of £1400.

Like the Trophy, by the time I've finished, I'm likely to have spent more getting her back on the road than she's worth..


But then, that's not why we do it.






Comments