Lockdown II

 The Return

The bog roll hoarders are at it again, DIY shops are reporting a surge in the sales of paint, Hairdressers are going into meltdown across the country and 007 has finally met his match (RIP Sean Connery).

It's been a strange week where lots has happened but sadly very little in the garage. I'm still waiting for both the carbs and the forks to come back from their respective repairs and the Tiger hasn't seen the light of day since Monday. 

I've checked over the brakes again to make sure there are no leaks, which there aren't but haven't had the opportunity to ride since then.

As for the Trophy, I've not so much as laid a finger on her for what seems like weeks - but I am planning what jobs to do next. I've put together a workshop checklist which I now keep in the garage so I can tick off the remaining jobs as I do them. On paper, there doesn't seem to be that many, 26 in all. Sadly, most of them are big jobs and/or cost money, which is in short supply at the moment. 

As you can probably guess, I have a project file and at present, the Trophy has cost £873.00

With all the bits I've still to do, you can add another £1100.00 so in all, it looks like my free bike will cost around £2000, probably a little more when you add in bits I've forgotten to list and account for some of the costs I've had to estimate, such as tyres, replacement seat and the cost of the carb rebuild (which is still unknown as the estimate was 4 - 5 hours at £40 per hour, plus parts)

In no particular order, the jobs remaining are:

  1. refit carbs
  2. refit throttle cable
  3. refit choke cable
  4. refit air box
  5. refit air intakes
  6. re-assemble front forks
  7. Refurbish wheels
  8. Replace tyres
  9. Replace rear disc
  10. refit wheels
  11. refit speedo cable
  12. replace chain & sprocket
  13. Oil change (inc filter)
  14. coolant change
  15. refit brake callipers
  16. replace brake lines
  17. replace brake pads
  18. bleed brakes
  19. replace petcock
  20. replace petcock knob
  21. route wiring loom under nose cone
  22. refit tank
  23. balance carbs
  24. refit bodywork
  25. connect lights
  26. replace seat
Over the next 4 weeks I hope to have some of these ticked off. I've ordered a new chain & sprocket from M&P, engine and fork oil from Opie Oils and a clutch and front sprocket cover gasket set from Sprint Manufacturing. If the carbs and forks come back within the next two weeks as I'm expecting, I think I could have nine of these jobs done by the end of the month. 

Why the gaskets? The Trophy engine is odd in that the cover over the front sprocket has oil circulates through it, don't know why. it just does, so a gasket set is needed for that.

As the clutch is still an unknown and because the bike has been standing for so long, while the engine oil has been drained, I'm goinfg to whip the clutch out to check it thoroughly and to give it a good soak before refitting it, just to be sure.

What happens next is still up in the air. We'll be comming up to christmas and my likely bike budget will be swallowed up by that, and as I'll be out of work from 1st January 2021, money will be tight. Yes, I will have a little redundancy money but that's got to pay the mortgage and other living expenses until I can find work and in the current Covid-19 climate, that may not be as easy as I'd like.






Comments