Work continues

on Tiger2


While I've been working, I've had a little time to do anything to my Triumphs, but I'm still doing little bits.

Next job on my list was to replace the clutch on Tiger2. Now, while replacing the clutch plates is not a huge task, it's not without its problems. You see, T2 is a a 955i, but its a late 955i, meaning it has the 1050 clutch. This is different than early versions. 

Having been on line and researched clutches on www.tigertriple.com, it turns out that this very bike has had its fair share of clutch issues in the past. What I discovered was that almost all of the clutch parts that can be changed have been, including the actuator rod, clutch cable, clutch basket, steel plates and the clutch plates themselves. What I also found was that the clutch plates are part number CK5599, the same as the 1050 Tiger. So that's what I ordered. 

The clutch replacement went as well as could be expected, including changing the springs for uprated ones and new gaskets & didn't take as long as I expected, especially as this was my first clutch change on a bike.

With that little job done, I think Tiger2 is now ready for its MOT - as soon as lockdown rules are lifted. Getting an MOT is not difficult, but selling Tiger2 might be for the moment.

Tallulah


You may recall that Tiger2 came with full luggage, including Triumph top box. Well, this has now been sprayed Kia Metallic Silver. Yes, I know I ordered Peugeot Aluminium Silver, but it never turned up, so I went to Halfords, queued up outside, observing Social Distancing, and bought the Kia silver instead. many coats of that, followed by 4 coats of lacquer, a cut back, a polish and it's done.

The colour is not too far off and as a first attempt at this spraying lark, it's not too bad a job. I could have done better but overlll, I'm pleased with the results.
Lid of topbox sprayed silver

From blue to Silver

Tabitha


Not a lot done with the Trophy this month, although I did have a look at the carb bank. There was an overpowering varnish type smell coming from them. While my initial idea was to purchase a sonic cleaner & strip them myself, I think on reflection, I'll pay to have them done for me by someone who knows what they're doing. That's not to say I can't do it myself, but these need doing properly if I'm to get the bike running again after so long sitting unused.

Triumph Trophy being worked on
Half a Trophy




Comments