I know

what I'm doing...

with Tiger2.

My first job for the day was to finally remove the luggage rack fittings, quite an easy job although I did have to loosen the exhaust to finish the job. As expected, they’re covered in a thick layer of grime s will have to be thoroughly cleaned before being offered for sale.

To start checking the wiring, I removed the front fairing, which meant removing the indicators and removed the headlights. The indicators didn’t work as the wiring connectors had broken, an easy fix which should take no more than 15 minutes when I come to putting things back together again. Aside from the, now expected layer of grime, the wiring looks ok but there are one or two areas that might need wrapping up in insulating tape. The wires seem OK, not split or chafed but it doesn’t look like it’s had any TLC.

Next, I removed the additional power socket & USB connector. For this I had to remove the fuel tank, which I would estimate still has approx. 10 litres of fuel in it. I had a struggle removing the battery, a Motobatt product which was a tight fit, but with a little coaxing, I managed to remove it. I’m unsure whether to swap it over for Tallulah’s one though, I’ll have a think about it, but if it’s a similar spec, there’s not much point as the Motobatt is an unknown. By that I mean I don’t know its condition or how old it is and the one in Tallulah works just fine.

Once the battery was out, I removed the battery tray and the two bolts holding the tank in place. I also disconnected the fuel gauge and fuel line although the latter was difficult as the fuel pipe attached to the tank was corroded. I’ll clean that up later.

Finally, with the tank off, I could now trace the wires from the accessory sockets and remove them. The power socket will be refitted to the dash, next to the heated grips switch, where it is on Tallulah.

I also ended up removing the exhaust. While it’s an original Triumph Tiger 955i exhaust, it’s a TOR version, which I quite fancy trying out on Tallulah. I don’t want to swap the exhausts over though as I would like the option of putting the original, quieter on back on, so I’ll probably either just try it out then put it back on Tiger2 or see if I can find an original one for sale second hand then keep my original and the TOR can.

While I had the tank off, I checked the air filter. This turned out to be a K&N filter & as luck would have it, I had some K&N cleaner and filter oil lying around, so that’s been cleaned and is currently on the workbench drying. I also checked the plugs. Pot 1 & 2 was a little damp, but pot 3 seemed fine. I cleaned up the plugs, checked the gap, then put them back.

I was toying with the idea of using the K&N filter for Tallulah, but in the end decided not to bother. The difference between an OE filter and a K&N isn’t that much and I’ve never been a great fan of K&Ns anyway.

I did notice that the underside of the air filter box was oily, as was the engine around the throttle bodies.

I also noticed that it was nearly dinner time, so having cleaned up & put my car back in the garage, it was time to call it a day.

Next weekend I’m going to pull it off the bench and, in its naked form (i.e. no body work) give it a good clean. I’ve #MucOff and a pressure washer at the ready, all I need now is the time.

The final word for the day – I’ve decided to clean it up, replace the clutch and output shaft seal, get it MOT’d then sell it to fund the Trophy resurrection. So, while I’ll be talking about Tiger2 for the next month or two on my Trophy rebuild blog, it’s for a good cause.


Comments