Trophy trials

More tales of woe

Had a couple of hours spare today to do a little more work on the Trophy.

I’ve also finally decided on a name. All my vehicles have names, Lucy SLK, Tallulah (Tiger) Lily and now Tabitha Trophy. #Tabitha was a woman raised from the dead by Saint Peter, & while I’m no saint, I am raising her from the dead. But, more on what I’ve done today.

Firstly, I’ve got my hands on some diesel to try to free up the fuel filler cap latch. Armed with a funnel, I have poured approx. 1 litre of diesel into the upturned tank and have given it a good sloshing around to ensure the latch mechanism is nicely covered,

Checked with the endoscope. I’ll just leave it now for 24 hours to see what happens.

fuel cap latch from inside the tank
this is what's causing the issue

Next, having received the front brake seal kits from #Wemoto (their eBay shop) and the brake piston pliers, it was time to strip down the callipers. Starting with the right side, I had already split the callipers and easily removed the pistons. Using some degreaser and brake cleaning spray, I cleaned all the gunge off the calliper and took some 0000-gauge wire wool to clean the pistons. All the parts cleaned up nicely with no surprises.

Except one.

The brake seal kits I received from Wemoto were the wrong ones. The standard 1993 Trophy has 4-pot callipers with two different diameter pistons, the seal kit I was provided had both seals of the same diameter & only two of each, not four. The first e-mail from Wemoto insisted the seal kits were correct for my bike but after I explained why they were not the correct parts, a second e-mail requested I return the parts for a full refund.

Now I find this interesting as I paid £32.50 for 2 individual seal kits from eBay, Wemoto.com, shows a seal kit for both front callipers for £37. The image that accompanies the kit definitely shows seals of two different diameters and curiously, a different part number to the one I received. I don’t want to strip the left calliper at the moment as should I forget how I took the right one apart, I’ve got a reference.

While this is waiting to be resolved, I decided to have a little clean. Nothing too drastic as I didn’t remove anything, just a bottle of cleaner & a damp rag over the wiring, cables and any bits of plastic I could see, such as the air intakes. Still a lot more cleaning to go though.

 

UPDATE (12 February 2020)

After a few email exchanges, Wemoto have agreed to send me out the correct seal kit (AG2491) upon receipt of the incorrect seal kits. I posted these off Tuesday 11th. Just have to wait now.

I’ve done little over the weekend in the garage as it’s been too cold out & I don’t have heating in the garage, although I do agitate the diesel in the fuel tank & try to undo the filler cap every so often, still without result. But I’ll keep trying.


Comments