Bye bye 2019

Hello 2020

Well, it's New Year’s Eve, its warmish and the roads are dry. Time for that last ride of the year and indeed, the decade.

It wasn't a long ride, down to the local supermarket for a Chinese ready meal in a box, a Euromillions ticket (haven't checked but as usual I've probably just bought a fancy coloured piece of worthless paper), then off to see the family.

Bluetooth

This was the first ride with the #Bluetooth #intercom / headset fitted and there were two things I wanted to test out. Firstly, did it connect easily to my phone?

Yes, it did - demonstrated by when I tried to phone home. I was in the supermarket at the time & forgot to switch the Bluetooth off, so when I dialled home my phone didn't appear to work. It wasn't until I heard my helmet calling out my name, I realised the headset was still connected to my phone & like an idiot, rather than just turn the Bluetooth off, I rushed outside & put my helmet on to carry on the call. This was not helped by the volume setting being too loud (I'd set it to a comfortable level when wearing earplugs).

So that bit works well. I also tried playing music when riding, a nice bit of #Reef & that worked too, although I doubt if I'll use that function too much as I found it a little distracting.

My Triumph Connectivity

Finally, there's this app, #MyTriumph which owning a Triumph I thought I'd download onto my phone. It's not a bad app, it will connect to your bike if it's a more modern one than mine & is Bluetooth capable, i.e. if it has the new TFT screen, it can also track your ride and act as a Satnav. It was these last two functions I wanted to try out. I'd previously used an app called #ESR (Eat Sleep Ride) and while it was pretty good at tracking your ride and also has a link to a website to store your data, I didn't need that kind of interactivity and found the app a little cumbersome. I was hoping My Triumph would replace that.

I recorded what My Triumph call a 'Free Ride' where the app uses Google Maps to track your ride, providing a map and basic info such as distance and time elapsed which is all I really need. A plus from me so far.

Next, I wanted to try the SatNav part of it. Sadly, unless you can connect to your Triumph TFT screen that part doesn't work. So, I tried Google Maps to navigate from my Mother’s house to mine instead.

Who knew that #Google #Maps warns you of static speed cameras when in navigate mode?

New stuff

Finally for this month/year/decade, I got a couple of bike related bits from Santa, some #R&G heated grips to replace the standard Triumph heated grips that no longer work, a Triumph valve adjustment tool and just ordered, a set of CREE LED spot lights to fit when I have time.

It only leaves me to say I hope you all had a great Christmas & here’s wishing you a Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Snow covered garden
Less of this please in 2020

Keep it Rubber side down.


Comments