It's wet & windy

but not when I started

It’s the 2nd November & the first opportunity I’ve had to get out for a good ride since changing my chain & sprockets.

When I left home it was dry & sunny. 20 minutes later the heavens opened so I cut my planned ride short & headed for home. So, after 42 minutes & 34 miles, I'm back home & drying off.

A couple of observations

  • It's now much easier to change up the gears without using the clutch.
  • It's easier going down through the gears without having to blip the throttle.
  • There's no clicking sound when I back the bike out of the garage (I assume this was down to the front sprocket being hooked).
  • The sheepskin seat pad definitely gives me more miles per arse & is far more comfortable than the seat alone.
  • When it gets wet, you can just brush the water off with your hand.
  • My textile jacket & trousers are no longer as waterproof as they should be, as suspected.
  • My new(ish) Shark helmet lets less rain get through the visor seal than my last one used to, although annoyingly, I did manage to get one single drop land smack bang in the middle of my right glasses’ lens.

I guess I'm going to have to buy some new textiles at some point as I've already tried reproofing them. Yes, it worked for a while but each time I now go out in the rain, I get more & more damp patches coming through.

I think I need to do a little research over the coming months to find some replacements. I know I have a waterproof over suit & that's fine if it's raining when I set off, but it's a pain having to find somewhere to stop that's sheltered, mid ride to put it on and to be honest, they're not that easy to put on over my boots anyway. They're even worse when trying to get rhem back in their carry pouch once dried off.

On today's ride there were no bridges to shelter under, no bus stops & because of the wind picking up, (and there being very few leaves on the trees) no shelter under trees either.


Still, we live to ride :o)



Comments